Are you an established trader looking for a fresh and exciting place to sell your product? Or are you a new entrepreneur ready to launch a brilliant business idea? If the answer is yes, then your business might be just what we’re looking for.
A bit about us
Located right in the heart of Oxford’s city centre, we’re a much-valued historic hub for locals, visitors and students. We focus on offering high-quality specialist, locally-owned independent retail experiences.
Our small to medium-sized units provide a perfect place for new or established artisan businesses to showcase their goods or services and build a committed customer base. With over 50 locally owned independent businesses already in the market, you’ll also benefit from a wealth of fellow trader knowledge ranging from long-running businesses topping over 74 years, to other brand-new start-ups.
Before you contact us, we’ve put together a two-step check list:
Are you the kind of business we are looking for?
It’s crucial we get the right kind of mix in the market to ensure we make the best of the opportunity for everyone involved.
Here’s a guide to the kind of businesses we are currently looking for:
- Contemporary Catering – Whole foods, health foods, salad bar, sushi bar.
- High quality/ Gourmet produce – Delicatessen meat and/or vegan, farm shop, freshly baked cakes.
- Artisan Gift & Fashion producers – Second hand/vintage clothing, handmade gifts, handmade fashion and accessories.
- Traditional and Quintessential English offers – haberdashers, stationers, cookware specialist, crafts and hobbies.
If you are offering one of the business categories listed above, you don’t have to have had experience of owning a business. However, before you reply we do ask you to ensure you meet all of the requirements listed below:
- Open 7 days a week
- Operate core hours 9am – 5pm, with potential to open later
- Be locally based
- Operate a specialist high-quality artisan business
- Have a clear view of what you plan to sell
- Score highly on sustainability
- Know what size unit you require
- Have a clear list of facilities required. For example: do you need running water; a flue system; how much storage space do you need?
- Have a list of any particular unoccupied units in the market you are interested in
- Have a well thought-out business plan
We have so many enquiries we are unable to respond to any enquires that do not include this information.
If you can answer all the questions above:
Fill it out and follow the instructions at the end.
FAQs for potential traders
What are the operating hours?
The market is open to traders for set-up and deliveries from 6am – 6.30pm.
Public opening hours are: Monday to Saturday 8am – *5.30pm, Sundays and Bank holidays 10am – 5pm.
*However we are about to trial extended opening hours. Exact times are to be confirmed.
What are the vehicle access and parking arrangements?
Vehicles can currently access Market Street 24 hours a day.
Unloading bays are available on a loading-only basis:
- High Street parking bays can be accessed 7 days a week for a maximum of 60 mins
- Market Street parking bays can be accessed 7 days a week for a maximum of 20 mins
- Covered Market Loading bay (via Market Street. This is a small area and is subject to availability)
There are a number of paid for parking spaces in nearby roads. For information on these, see our Parking page.
How much does it cost to rent a unit and how long do leases run for?
Letting terms are discussed on an individual basis to suit specific business needs.
What facilities are provided with each unit?
- Each unit will have electricity
- Water and drainage will vary depending on the unit
- All traders have access to the market yard for their own waste disposal
- Toilets are available for traders in addition to public toilets
Who owns the Covered Market?
The Oxford Covered Market is owned and run by Oxford City Council.
Please note: The unit numbers referred to in this map differ from those shown in the public quick ref floor plan. This is because these numbers are the official addresses of the units.
KEY: AVAILABLE TO RENT UNDER OFFER CONVERTING TO SMALLER UNITS
Available to rent
Converting to smaller units
- No units listed